History of Bethesda Frankel Estate Church
In the early 1950s, Bethesda (Katong) Church had the vision of an outreach at Frankel Estate. Accordingly, in October 1953, a Kindergarten was opened at 21 Jalan Pipit (now Roseburn Avenue) under the charge of Miss Tan Suan Lui, and a Sunday School started with Mr Henry Phillips as Superintendent. As the Kindergarten grew, new premises were required and four plots of land at La Salle Street were acquired. On June 4, 1955, Elder Ong Tiang Tye laid the foundation-stone of a one-storey Kindergarten building.
Miss Tan Suan Lui with her students in 1954
Mrs. Rijk laying the foundation stone
In July 1958, a group of brothers (the Frankel Committee) pursued the prompting of the Lord to launch a distinct work in Frankel Avenue. On August 3, 1958, the first Lord’s Supper service took place and was attended by 35 Christians; the church at Bethesda Frankel was born. The rapid growth of the work at Frankel required the provision of new facilities. On June 20, 1964, the foundation-stone of a new building (the current sanctuary) at 4 La Salle Street was laid by Mrs Constance Rijk, a senior member and former Sunday School teacher of Bethesda (Katong) Church. The new building was completed at a cost of $100,000 and was dedicated and opened on November 21, 1964.
Since then church membership has grown to more than 1000 members. By God’s grace, we have also helped to plant other assemblies as well:
Bethesda Pasir Ris Mission Church (previously known as the Bethesda Bedok Mission Church), Bethesda Bedok Tampines Church (BBTC) and River of Life Community Church (ROLC) in Punggol.